Thursday, August 25, 2011

Back to School Blues

It was a beautiful morning.  The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and the air was the perfect temperature.  I woke up, casually got dressed, fed everyone a nice family breakfast, got them dressed and off we went out the door to Aiden's first day of school.............NOT EVEN CLOSE!

I woke up to Scott telling me "we have a problem".  The problem was that the torsion bar on our garage door had completely broke in half and my car was trapped inside the garage.  Fortunately for us, he had gotten his car out to go to the gym this morning and it didn't break until he tried to open it when he came home.  So, we tried to get the door up and it was not going to happen.  On to plan B.....switch the car seats to his company car, throw clothes on the kids, beg and plead for Aiden to eat breakfast (who promptly throws it in the trash as soon as I turned my back), throw everything together while literally running through the house trying to get it all done, force my child to pose for pictures, then put them in the car as fast as we can and off to school.  It was at this point that we got behind a person on Yale who was going TWENTY FIVE MILES AN HOUR!!!  Oh my.  My dad always, and I do mean always, used to say to me "pre-planning prevents a poor performance".  Well dad, I pre-planned, then I re-planned and then I planned again and sometimes life just creates chaos when it's the most inopportune time.  Especially when you have small children.  So, I didn't get all my fabulous first day of school pictures that I wanted and the only one I got of me with Aiden was the one I took myself of us hunched down next to the car right before we got in it.  But I was there.  And when I forgot to hug him goodbye because I was trying to hurry for Scott to be able to get to work, I went back.  I hugged him tight and told him to have the best day and that I couldn't wait to hear all about it when he got home.  And it made him smile.  That was all that mattered.  So here is our crazy morning in pictures, although I'm sure you can't tell by looking at them all the chaos that was going on.  And I hope that sweet smile at the door is all I remember of this day in twenty years when I tearfully look at these pictures.











much love,

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment