Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Tooth Fairy and Pirates

A few weeks ago, Aiden had to have a tooth removed that had been damaged when he fell and hit it.  I was a nervous wreck about it but it had to be done.  So, I did what all mothers do when they are afraid.....I sucked it up and pretended I wasn't.  I was so nervous about him being given sedating medication, about what would happen during the procedure and about what he would feel like when he had a big hole in the front of his mouth where no other kid his age did.  As you can see, my fears were only for me.  Everything went well and he is happy as can be to show you his missing tooth. 


Putting his tooth in the box for his first Tooth Fairy visit:


I didn't get any pictures of his Tooth Fairy loot (let's just say she was feeling quite generous) becuase he was so excited to see what she left him that he woke up really early and I wasn't awake enough to realize I needed to grab my camera. 

As luck would have it, Aiden had a pirates and princesses themed birthday party to go to just two days after the procedure.  He was REALLY in character with a missing front tooth!
  


He was SO excited to go to this party.  I found him a pirate costume online and he asked every day if it was here yet.  We got a Backyardigans Pirates DVD and he has run around the house for weeks before and after the party saying "ARRRR Matey!" 


I was so worried that other kids would ask about his tooth and make him feel self-conscious about it or tease him about it.  But that was just my adult way of looking at it.  It has been weeks now and no one has said a word to him about it.  And if they did, I'm pretty sure he'd just show it to them and give them an "ARRRR!"  I need to  keep reminding myself that things are almost never as bad as I build them up to be in my mind.  One of many life lessons I'm still trying to learn.

much love,

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment